STRATEGIC PLAN IN ACTION
Since the launch of Strategic Plan in June 2021, the UBC Department of Psychiatry has made considerable progress with regard to the four strategic pillars outlined in the Plan. Our accomplishments to date are detailed below.
- Recruitment of a full-time academic faculty member / CRC Tier 2 in Early Intervention in Psychosis/Bipolar Disorder in progress
- FoM Academic Renewal Program competition was successful, and recruitment for a full-time junior academic faculty position in translational neuropsychiatric research in progress
- In partnership with the NMP, the Department initiated recruitment in 2022 for a full-time academic faculty position based in Prince George, to lead research focused on access to care, early intervention, and population health in rural and remote areas and Indigenous communities.
- A new CaRMS track residency program established in the Interior, to be included in the 2023 CaRMS process
- Funding secured for two new residency positions for 2021-2022, which we have allocated to the Fraser Track, resulting in a net gain of 3 positions for Fraser since 2020
- A new re-entry residency position allocated in the Interior for July 2022, and two re-entry residency positions to commence in July 2023
- Successful launch the Competence by Design (CBD) curriculum for the General Psychiatry program in 2020 and for Subspecialities in 2021
- Streamlined online process for submitting the Clinical Faculty Annual Activities Report launched in 2020, with simplified appointment and promotion processes to launch in January 2023
- Developed a new task-based funding model to ensure a more equitable process for compensating clinical faculty members
- Resident wellness survey has been completed, and strategies are being developed to address resident and staff wellness
- Inclusion Self-Assessment Tool (ISAT) for reflection on issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion circulated widely in December 2021
- Nominated several members of our Department for local, national and international awards, many of whom were successful
- New Partner Faculty appointments with various Partner insititutions, including BC Children’s Hospital, Lion’s Gate Hospital, and BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (PHSA)
- Dr. Roberto Sassi. Associate Professor (Partner)
- Dr. Kyooseob Ha, Professor (Partner)
- Dr. Kyung Sue Hong, Professor (Partner)
- Appointment of Dr. Nel Wieman, Acting Deputy Chief Medical Officer, First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) to the Executive and Advisory Committees, bringing to our leadership teams a much-needed voice regarding the unique issues and challenges facing Indigenous people and their communities.
The Department would like to invite all Department members to share their stories:
• Has your recent work linked to items in the Strategic Plan?
• Do your current or future work plans relate to the Strategic Plan?
• Do you know of a Department member that has a story?
Your stories will help build a greater sense of community in the Department and help raise the Department’s profile. They may be featured in Department communications, including in annual letters and future communications, and may also be directed through other UBC and external communications channels.
A story is defined as:
• Work projects or plans related to the Strategic Plan
• Significant awards, honours and grants
• Media interviews and mentions
• Other major achievements you would like to share
Submit your story:
• Describe your story (brief paragraph)
• How does it relate to the plan?
Not sure if your story relates to the Strategic Plan? Submit it anyway!
Send your story and any questions to:
Margaret Koshi, Manager, Communications and Partnerships